Dr. Abbas Poorhashemi, President of the Canadian Institute for International Law Expertise (CIFILE)
Dr. Poorhashemi is the President of the Canadian Institute for International Law Expertise (CIFILE), Toronto, Ontario (since 2017). He is providing legal opinions on international law as an expert before the foreign and Canadian courts. He was an assistant professor in international law and faculty member at the University of Science and Research (IAU) for more than ten years. He has taught Public International Law, International Criminal Law, International Environmental Law, Comparative Law and other legal courses to J.D. and/or international LL.M. students for more than ten years. Furthermore, he has practiced law as a lawyer (barrister and solicitor), expert and legal adviser in International law, Criminal Law and family law in many different jurisdictions, including Canadian courts.
Dr. Poorhashemi holds a Ph.D. in International Law from the University of Strasbourg, School of Law, (France, 2005). He was also a Postdoctoral Fellow in International Law & Globalization (CEDIM, UQAM University, Canada, 2013).
His teaching and research interests are in the areas of Public International Law, International Criminal Law and International Environmental Law. He has published many books and articles in each of these areas. He is also the Editor-in-Chief of the CIFILE Journal of International Law (CJIL).
Post-doctoral International Law & Globalization 2012-2013
UQAM University, CEDIM, Montreal, Canada
The subject of Research: Foundation of International Environmental law, positive & critical aspects
Ph.D. in International Law 2003-2005
University of Strasbourg, School of Law, France
The subject of Thesis: « Aspects juridiques de la protection de l’environnement de la mer Caspienne.» Grade: Excellent with the congratulation of the jury
M.A., International Law 2002-2003
University of Nancy, School of Law, France
- International Law
- International Environmental Law
- International Criminal Law
- International Contract Law
- Global Governance
Current research interests
- Development of International Law
- Future of International Environmental Law
- Development of International Criminal Law
- Environmental Law and Policy Reforms with Sustainable Development
- Immigration and Impacts of Climate Change
-President of the Canadian Institute for International Law Expertise (CIFILE)
Toronto, Ontario, Canada 2017-Present
CIFILE offers and provides International Law expertise, legal training, online courses, conference, legal Research and publications.
-Editor-in-Chief of CIFILE Journal of International Law (CJIL)
Toronto, Ontario, Canada 2019-Present
CIFILE Journal of International Law (CJIL) is a high-quality, open-access and peer-reviewed journal related to the Canadian Institute for International Law. http://www.cifilejournal.com/
-International and Foreign Law Expert witness at the Canadian courts of Justice
Ontario and Quebec, Canada 2015-present
- Researching legal precedents and evidence in international and foreign law
- Providing a legal expert opinion on foreign law in Canadian courts
- Analyzing and study on different issues that affect international clients, such as homologation of the Canadian judgment in other countries, divorces cases, inheritance and the sale of properties in other countries.
–Assistant Professor of International Law 2006-2016
Science and Research Branch, IAU
Courses offered in international public law, international environmental law, international criminal law, international treaties etc.
-Founder & Senior Partner 2008–2017
M.M. International Law Firm and Dr. Poorhashemi International Law Firm
- Directing international law firm with a team of 20 lawyers, advocates, legal trainees etc.
- Supervising and coordinated activities of attorneys at law
- Conducting legal research and factual investigations and international law
- Drafting pleadings, investigated public records, and filed court documents for a firm engaged in civil, criminal and international litigation Advised clients of their legal rights and all matters related to international law
- Participated in negotiations between companies in different locations and drafting contracts in international commercial matters relating to the incorporation and organization of companies, joint ventures, expropriations, importations, purchases, sales etc.
-Associate Researcher 2012-2014
Center for the Study of International Law and Globalization (CEDIM) of the University of Québec in Montréal (UQAM), Canada http://www.cedim.uqam.ca/spip.php?article8
Research interests — International law, International environmental law, international arbitration, human rights, jurisprudence, environmental criminal law, international responsibility (English, French and Persian)
Courses taught — International Law, international environmental law, international arbitration, human rights, jurisprudence, environmental criminal law, international responsibility, international treaties
Membership — International Bar Association (2010), Member of the Centre de Recherches et d’études sur les droits de l’Homme et le droit humanitaire, CREDHO-Paris University, France (2006), Member of the judging committee of the National Conference on World Environment Day (2015), Member of the Scientific Committee of the National Conference of Geography, Planning and Sustainable Development (2013), Associate Researcher of the Centre for the Study of International Law and Globalization (CEDIM) of the University of Québec in Montréal (UQAM), Canada (2012), President & Scientific Director of the Canadian Institute for International Law Expertise (CIFILE) (2017), Member of the World Commission on Environmental Law of the IUCN (2020), Affiliate Member of the International Criminal Court Bar Association ICCBA (2020).
LEGAL RESEARCHES & PUBLICATIONS
- Caspian Sea in International Environmental Law: Multidisciplinary Approach, Presses Académiques Francophones, Germany, 2012, ISBN-10: 3838170881, 684 p.
- International Environmental Law, (with Bahareh Arghand), Tehran, Nashr Dadgostar, 2013, 293 p.
- Collection of citizen rights and duties in Iran, Tehran, Publication office of the Vice President for Legal Affairs, 2010, 426 p.
- Art of the prison: legal punishment or sanctions?, Tehran, the judiciary Publications Centre, 2003 p .215.
- Collection of International Law and Regulations, Tehran, MAJD publisher, 2001. ISBN: 964-6153-48-8. 392 p.
- Mohammad Pakrah, Seyed Abbas Poorhashemi, Mohammad Reza Parvin, Investigation and determination of the best strategy for sustainable development of nomadic areas of Iran based on the rights of local societies, EurAsian Journal of BioSciences, Eurasia J Biosci 14, 955-966 (2020)
- Homauoni M, Pournouri M, Poorhashemi SA, Karimi D. Comparative study of the international legal system of biodiversity conservation and the Iranian legal system of biodiversity conservation. International journal of environmental science and technology. 2019 May 1;16(5):2503-10.
- Khalatbari, Y., & Poorhashemi, A. “Environmental Damage”: Challenges and opportunities in International Environmental Law. CIFILE Journal of International Law, 1(1), 21-28. (2019).
- Mehrzad Jamshidi, Mansour Pournouri, Seyed Abbas Pourhashemi, Daryoush Karimi, The Effectiveness of Global and Regional Conventions against Dust, in the Middle East, 2019/9/30. Journal Religación. Revista de Ciencias Sociales y Humanidades, Volume 4 Issue 19, Pages 505-516
- Nouri N, Mousavi F, Poorhashemi A, Karimi D. To Solve Legal-Environmental Challenges in National Law of Iran and Other Countries Sustainable Development Fulfillment Necessity. Ukrainian Journal of Ecology. 2019;9(1):135-43.
- Zandi F, Amanollahi J, Poorhashemi SA, Panahi M. Paris Climate Changes Agreement 2015 Operational Requirements and Legal Restrictions of Joining Iran. Ekoloji Dergisi. 2019 Jan 1(107).
- Arghand B, Poorhashemi SA, Roshandel R, Zare A. International convention to decrease conflict between energy supply and environmental protection. Ukrainian Journal of Ecology. 2018;8(1):608-18.
- Gasemi S, Poorhashemi SA, Zare A, Farshchi P, Bavand H. Geopolitical and environmental study of artificial islands in the Persian Gulf (from the perspective of international law). Ukrainian Journal of Ecology. 2018 Feb 5;8(1):130-40.
- Sobhan Tayebi, Seyed Fazlollah Moosavi, & Seyed Abbas Poorhashemi, “Environmental Diplomacy: A Framework for Growth of International Interaction and Cooperation for Achievement of Global Peace”, Canadian Center of Science and Education, Journal of Politics and Law; Vol. 9, No. 9; 2016
- Maryamalsadat Moosavi, Jaafar Koosha, Sayyed Abbas Poorhashemi, Davood Hermidas BavandNon, “Governmental Actors and the Evolution of International Environmental Law”, Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences, MCSER Publishing, Rome-Italy, Vol. 6 No 6 S6, December 2015
- Khalatbari Y, Bavand DH, Zare A, Poorhashemi SA. “Development of the concept of Environmental Damage in International environmental law”, Caspian J. Environ. Sci. 2016, Vol. 14 No.4 pp. 339~350
- Seyed Abbas Poorhashemi; Peiman Namamian; Sobhan Tayebi, “Environmental Terrorism Criminalization; Challenges, Norms and Strategies”, Journal of Environmental Science and Technology, Volume 17, Issue 1, spring 2015, Page 167-182.
- Zarei, S. A. Poorhashemi, M. Pournouri, “A deliberation on recent legal cases and judgments of the International Court of Justice on environmental disputes” International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology, June 2015.
- Jambozorg, M. Pournouri, S. A. Poorhashemi, D. Hermidasbavand, “Challenges ahead of codification of environmental crime indices as an international crime”, International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology, June 2015
- Poorhashemi, Sayed Abbas, Tayyibi, Sobhan and Naderi, Shima, “Litigation and International Responsibility: instruments deal with the lack of performing commitments concerning climate change” Journal of Humans and the Environment, Volume 13, Number 4 , 2015
- Seyed Abbas Poor Hashemi; Loabat Taghavi; Azam Parande Motlagh, “Utilization of renewable energy resources in European Union’s legal system”, Journal of Human and Environment, Volume 12, Issue 3, summer 2014, Page 37-44.
- Seyed Abbas Poorhashemi , Yalda Khalatbari , Sahar Zarei, “ Genealogy of International Environmental Law”, Journal of Middle East Applied Science and Technology (JMEAST), Issue 13(4) [Supplementary Part IV], September 2014, pp. 952-957
- Jafar Nouri; Seyed Abbas Poorhashemi; Reza Arjmandi; Fatemeh Alimardani, “Positioning waste management laws in comparison with France’s laws and utilizing the Strategic Position and Action Evaluation (SPACE) matrix”, Volume 16, Issue 2, summer 2014. Page 111-128
- Seyed Abbas Poorhashemi, Sahar Zarei, Yalda Khalatbari, “The Cooperation Principle in International Environmental Law”, Journal of Public Law, Vol.15 no39, spring & summer 2013
- Seyed Abbas Poorhashemi, Atieh Ekrami, “Studies on the legal challenges of the Tehran Convention on the protection of the environment of the Caspian sea”, Journal of Strategic Research, Scientific Research Center, No. 69, p 65, 2013.
- Azadbakht Bita, Seyed Abbas Poorhashemi, Sadegh Zibakalam, Davoud Hermidas Bavand, “Legal Protection of the Environment in Armed Conflicts with Emphasis on the Second Gulf War”, International Quarterly of Geopolitics, Volume 23, 2013.
- Seyed Abbas Poorhashemi, Faramarz Moattar, Hossein Borzouei, Hamid Borzouei, “The Role of International Environmental Laws and Regulations in Peaceful Use of Nuclear Energy”, Scholars Research Library Annals of Biological Research, 2013, 4 (1):22-28
- Azadbakht, B. , Poorhashemi, S.A. , Zibakalam, S. , Bavand, D.H., “Legal Protection of the Environment in Armed Conflicts with Emphasis on the Second Gulf War”, Journal of Basic and Applied Scientific Research, 3(5)175-184, 2013
- Behnoush Khoshmanesh zadeh, Seyed Abbas Poorhashemi , Mohammad Soltanieh , Davoud Hermidas Bavand, “Studying climate change impacts and consequences on global security”, E3 Journal of Environmental Research and Management Vol. 3(2). pp. 044-051, March, 2012
- Poorhashemi, Seyed Abbas, Vahdnavan, Aref, Bazeghi, Nazanin, “Media impact of student movement of the 60s on the formation of the Stockholm Conference 1972 on humans and environment”, Journal of media studies, scientific-research, spring 2012, p. 37 to 44.
- S. A. Poorhashemi, B. Khoshmaneshzadeh, M. Soltanieh & D. Hermidasbavand, “Analyzing the individual and social rights condition of climate refugees from the international environmental law perspective”, International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology, ISSN 1735-1472, January 2012, Volume 9, Issue 1, pp 57-67
- Farhad Dabiri, Seyed Abbas Poorhashemi, Farnaz Saeid Ershadi, “Analyzing of Section II of the Agenda 21 and Its Role on Development of Environmental Law in Iran”, Journal of Environmental Science and Technology , Volume 14, Issue 3, autumn 2012, Page 95-87.
- Seyed Abbas Poorhashemi, “Difference between human rights and civil rights”, Pegah, 2011, 308, p. 16
- N. Nouri ; S.A. Poorhashemi; S.M. Monavari; F. Dabiri; A.H. Hassani, “Legal Criteria and Executive Standards of Solid Waste Disposal Subjected to Solid Waste Management Act” International Journal of Environmental Research, Volume 5, Number 4, Page 971-980 (10), September 2011
- Seyed Abbas Poorhashem, Maryam Mousavi, “International responsibility of the States in environmental law” Journal of Law and Politics, spring & summer 2011, No. 15, page 75-92.
- Seyed Abbas Poorhashemi, Ali Faghih Habibi, “Study on the possibility of demanding environmental damage from the International Court of Justice for Iran-Iraq war “, Journal of Political and International Research – Scientific-Research, winter 2011, Vol. 3, No. 9, page 65 page 71.
- Dabiri Farhad, Poorhashemi, Seyed Abbas, Mousavi, Maryam “Study on Compensation for Environmental Damage as a Result of Transboundary Pollution and International Environmental Degradation”, Journal of human health and environment, No. 23, spring 2010, Pages 43-50
- Poorhashemi, Sayed Abbas, Taghavi, Lobat, Khalatbari Yalda, Zareie Sahar, “Air pollution in Tehran and the right of citizens to a healthy environment”, Journal of Legal Studies, No. 18, winter 2010, p. 175
- Farhad Dabiri, Taghi Ebadi, Seyed Abbas Poorhashemi, Niloofar Manoochehri, “Study of Legal Aspects to present and execute POPs convention in Iran in order to submit legal framework to control persistent Organic Pollutants”, Journal of Environmental Science and Technology, Volume 12, Issue 2, summer 2010, Page 133-144
- Dabiri Farhad, Poorhashem, Seyed Abbas, Moattar, Faramarz, Borzouei, Hussein, “The right to peaceful use of nuclear energy from the perspective of environmental law”, Journal of Environmental Science and Technology, 2009, No. 4, pp. 515-522
- Farhad Dabiri, Seyed Abbas Poorhashemi, Fakhrozoha Roosta, “ Sustainable development in the concepts and principles of international environmental law”, Journal of Environmental Science and Technology, Volume 11, Issue 3, winter 2009, Page 231-225.
- S. A. Poorhashemi, ” Collective security in international law, case study : Persian Gulf” Institute for Political & International Studies, The 17th International Conference on the Persian Gulf “Persian Gulf Security and International Law” 28-29 May 2007, Tehran
- Zare, Ali, Poorhashemi, Seyed Abbas, “New development in the international environment law”, Journal of Law and Politics, 2007, No. 5, p. 101-110
- Seyed Abbas Poorhashemi, “Legal aspects of environmental protection of the Caspian sea”, Jurispedia, The shared law, (2006)
- Seyed Abbas Poorhashemi, “Succession of States in Respect of Treaties, Case Study: Convention on the Caspian Legal Regime”, Journal of Comparative Law, Faculty of Law and Political Science at the University of Tehran, No. 1, p. 151, spring and summer 2006.
- S.A. Poorhashemi, “The legal aspects of environmental protection of the Caspian sea”, Ph.D. thesis, University of Robert Schuman, France, 2005.
- S.A. Poorhashemi, “Applicable international law to environmental protection of Caspian sea”, France, 2005.
- Seyed Abbas Poorhashemi, “The International Criminal Court and the Iranian Law”, legal review of the Iranian Ministry of Justice, No 44, October 2003, p.89.
- A. Poorhashemi, “The Caspian Sea and the local mechanism for the environmental protection”, Pegah expert journal, No 65, 7 September 2002.
- S.A. Poorhashemi, “Modernity and the legal systems”, Pegah expert journal, No 79, 14 December 2002.
- S.A. Poorhashemi, “The security council and the collective interests”, Pegah expert journal, No 78, 7 December 2002.
- Seyed Abbas Poorhashemi, “Prison as a legal punishment”, Legal review of the Iranian Ministry of Justice, No. 35, summer 2001, p. 21
|2014||– Second congress of agriculture and natural resources, sustainable ways of achieving sustainable development
– Second congress of environment, energy and bio-defense
– 20th Conference of the Environmental National Association of Green Development
– Seminar on climate change and sustainable development in the future
|– A chronology of international environmental law
– Interaction between geopolitics of energy and international law
– Environmental constraints of international law on sustainable development
– Climate change in the Kyoto Protocol 1997 and United Nation Convention on climate change 1992
|2013||– International Conference on the Environment and Persian Gulf geopolitics
– 28th International Conference on Electricity
|– Regional cooperation for ensuring the safety and environmental protection of Persian Gulf
– Comparative Study and inefficient legal aspects of development and application of renewable energy in Iran and some countries
|2012||– First international conference on the environmental crisis and its improvement
– First national conference on environmental law and natural resources, Zagros
|Legal study of hospital waste management in Iran and India
– The rule of “Sovereignty” principle in international environmental law in order to protect the environment and natural resources
|2011||First national conference of new technologies in health sciences, health and the environment, Tehran University of Medical Sciences||Peaceful use of nuclear energy and the legal aspects of environmental protection|
|2009||The Third National Conference on World Environment Day||Mechanisms of dispute settlement in the environmental conventions and treaties|
|2007||International Conference Persian Gulf, IPIS||Collective security in international law, with emphasis on the need to establish a regional organization for Persian Gulf security|
|2005||International congress of the movement of knowledge, software movement and non-governmental thinking||Interaction between power and freedom in legal system|
Google Scholar: www.scholar.google.com/citations?user=4zvnmQEAAAAJ&hl=en