Venkata Rao, Scientific Member of CIFILE, Professor and Vice Chancellor National Law School of India University, India
National Law School of India University: www.nls.ac.in/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=82%3Adr-r-venkata-rao&catid=8%3Afaculty&Itemid=58
PROF. (Dr.) R. VENKATA RAO
National Law School of India University
Ph: 080-23160520, 9740560111, Fax: 080-23160521
Prof.(Dr.) R. Venkata Rao, born on 15th March, 1954, is the Vice Chancellor of the National Law School of India University Bangalore. He has assumed the office of the Vice Chancellor of National Law School of India University, Bangalore on 11th May, 2009. After the completion of his 1st term on 10th May 2014, his appointment as Vice Chancellor has been renewed for another five years from 11th May 2014. National Law School of India University, Bangalore is the premier centre of Legal Education.
Prof. Rao’s academic qualifications are B.A.(Hons.) Litt., M.A. (Litt), M.L. and Ph.D. He has served for 31 years in the Faculty of Law, Andhra University in various capacities as the Dean, Faculty of Law, Principal, University College of Law, Chairman, Board of Studies in Law and Head of the Department of Law. He was the Director of Centre of Criminal Justice Andhra University from 1997-2009. He served as the Dean of Student’s Affairs, Andhra University and as the Officer on Special Duty, Andhra University. He also served as the Member of Executive Council of Andhra University from 2005 to 2007.
At present he is, among others, a Member of the:
- Executive Council, Chanakya National Law University, Patna,
- Executive Council, National Law University, Delhi,
- Executive Council & General Council, WB National University of Juridical Sciences, Kolkatta
- General Council, National Law University, Bhopal,
- General Council, National Law University, Jodhpur,
- General Council, Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law, Punjab
- Academic Council, National Law Univeristy, Odisha,
- Academic Council, Karnataka State Law University, Hubli,
- Academic Council and Executive Council, Maharashtra National Law University, Nagpur
- Academic Council, National Law University & Judicial Academy, Guwahati, Assam
- Governing Council, Indian Law Institute,
- Advisory Board of Institute of Genetic Awareness and Applied Research, Nova, Southeastern University, U.S.A., among others.
He has served as the
- Vice President, Indian Society of International Law, New Delhi,
- Member, Academic Committee of Indian Institute of Public Administration, New Delhi,
- Member, Council, Indian Institute of Sciences, Bangalore
- Member Academic Council and General Council of NALSAR, Hyderabad.
- Member, Executive Council, Dr. Damodaran Sanjeevaiah National Law University,Visakhapatnam,
He has the distinction of receiving the Best Teacher Award from the Government of Andhra Pradesh in 2006, the Best Researcher Award from the Andhra University in 2003 and Gold Medal for the Best Ph.D. Thesis. He has been awarded the “Best Vice Chancellor Award for Outstanding Contribution to Education” during the World Chancellors and Vice Chancellor’s Congress- 2014 held on 27th June 2014 at Mumbai.
He has been associated with several prestigious bodies like Union Public Service Commission (UPSC), New Delhi, University Grants Commission (UGC), New Delhi, National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC), Bangalore, several Ministries in the Government of India, several Universities in India and Abroad as Expert in various Committees.
His primary area of research is Human Rights, Humanitarian Law and Criminal Justice. He has guided successfully 1 LL.D, 18 Ph.Ds. and more than 75 M. Phil scholars.
He has participated in a number of International and National Conferences and delivered a number of Keynote Addresses. To date he has published more than 130 papers in journal of National and International repute, apart from presenting several papers in National and International Seminars.
He has visited Almati (Kazakhstan), Geneva, Germany, Thailand, United States of America, Italy, Malaysia, Argentina, Nepal, Japan, Dubai, Mexico, Bhutan, China, Sweden, Kish Island (Iran), Russia, Singapore, Shanghai, Munich, Seoul, Istanbul, Dhaka and Colombo, Cape Town, Paris and Taipai among others.
He served as Chairman, Board of Governors, Asian Law Institute (ASLI) for the year 2010-2011.
He has been an Independent Director in prestigious Public Sector Undertakings like:
Bharat Electronics Ltd (BEL), Bangalore .
Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL), Bangalore,
Goa Shipyard Ltd, Goa and Member, Board of Governors, Indian Institute of Corporate Affairs (IICA), New Delhi.
He is also a member of Legal Education Committee, Curriculum Development Committee and the Equivalence Committee of the Bar Council of India.
He was a member of the Task Force Committee constituted by Government of India for suggesting reforms in the Modernization and Self-reliance of Defence Sector.
He delivered the following Endowment Lectures and Convocation Addresses.
- Sundaram Iyer Krishna Swamy Iyer Endowment Lecture for the year 2006-2007 at the University of Madras on “The Right to Information Act 2005 and The Right Not to Disclose”.
- 7th Pingle Venkatram Reddy Endowment Lecture on “Law and Science” on 15th April, 2010 at Kakatiya University, Warangal.
- (Mrs.) S Kantha, First Vice Chancellor, RGUHS, Endowment and Foundation Day Lecture, on “Recent Advances in Medical Law- Old Wine in a New Bottle?” on 1st June 2010, at Rajeev Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Bangalore.
- Late Sri. I G Hiregowdar, Advocate, Endowment Lecture on “The Importance of Ethics in Legal Profession” at the University College of Law, Dharwad, Karnatak University on 28th Feb 2011.
- Bodh Raj Sawhny Memorial Lecture on “The Role of Judges in Delivering Equitable and Speedy Justice” in the year 2011.
- sanahalli M Muniswamaiah Memorial Lecture on “Civil Justice Emerging Trends and Challenges” at the Vivekananda College Of Law, Bangalore in 2011.
- D V N Reddy Memorial Lecture at Acharya Nagarjuna University on “Dr. B R Ambedkar and Making of the Constitution of India” in the year 2012 at Guntur. Delivered Convocation Address at the XXI Convocation of Vikram University, Ujjain on 25th July, 2014.
- Delivered G R Gandhi Memorial Endowment Lecture on “Judicial Appointments: Concerns and Caveats” in 2015 at the University of Pune.